Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

A tale of two weeks

Two weeks ago, I started getting the garden ready for winter.

The garden October 25th before
I cut down the pepper plants, most of the zinnias, and the last of the tomatoes and basil.

The garden October 25th after
Since then, we've had a couple below-freezing nights.

The garden November 8th
The volunteer zinnias, the marigolds and the scarlet runner beans have all died.


And half of the nasturtiums on my hugul bed have frozen.


As you can see, however, the kale and the cover crops are still flourishing.

Radishes
Oats and radishes
I even have quite the radish forest growing in a corner of the yard.


With much colder temperatures coming this week, however, even these hardy plants will be gone by the time I get another picture.

It just occurred to me that I should get those marigolds pulled out or I'll have more volunteers than I know what to do with next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment