Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Trying something new

I decided to try something new this year, and I'm really excited about it. I am winter sowing seeds.

I learned about this on the blog A Garden for the House. Anyone with gardens that amazing has to know what they're doing, so if Kevin says it works, I believe him. Now, whether or not it will work for me, remains to be seen. On Sunday, I followed Kevin's step-by-step instructions and planted kale, broccoli and cabbage seeds.

Since D and I never buy milk in gallon bottles, I've been begging work friends to save jugs for me. Never mind the bourbon in the background. Clearly D and I buy plenty of that...


Melting holes in the jugs with a hot screwdriver was fun, but I learned the hard way that it takes a long time for the screwdriver to cool off.


My trusty Swiss army knife worked great for cutting the bottles. And I figured out how to take a picture of my right hand while holding the camera with my left.


Poking holes in the tote box was a little more difficult, but the hot screwdriver did the trick.


Yes, that's a beer bottle in the background. Do these pictures make it look like D and I drink a lot? You should've seen that counter before we took the glass to the recycling.

I filled the jugs in the kitchen without making much of a mess.


Then I put them outside. Our house faces south, and they are right outside the front door for now.


I may put them in the herb garden eventually, but the ground is really uneven and covered with snow, and I couldn't find anything to set them on.

I'm planning to also try rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, tomatoes and peppers. I've never started tomatoes or peppers from seed, so I'll be taking a big leap there. I haven't figured out where I can start seeds indoors at this house yet, so I might put all my faith in milk jugs. What's the worst that can happen? I end up at the garden center buying a lot of plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment