Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Done!

Okay, so I didn't actually finish anything major, but I did get the last yucca out of my herb garden the other day.


That damn thing has been taunting me since I pulled the others out last fall. It's not really a hard thing to do, but you've got to know what you're in for. I cut all of the leaves off and then dug the root out with a spade. If you've never dug out a yucca, this is what you'll find under all of those leaves:



That's not two pictures of the same clumps. I dug out the first ones, threw them in the yard waste can, and then dug out the rest. After that, I still had to dig this out of the hole:


That is a giant chunk of root. It's also why I hate yuccas. Besides being ugly and prickly, they are tenacious. I'm expecting little shoots from every tiny bit of root I didn't get out of the ground. Oh well, I'm determined, and I will pull out every last shoot.

I shouldn't hate something that is so useful. I know you can make soap from the root, and I believe indigenous people made clothes and shoes out of the leaves. However, since I don't need the yucca to survive, I'm going to use the space for more delicious things, like basil, rosemary and sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment