Sunday, March 19, 2017

A small project

It seems that every place is having strange weather, and we are no exception. We've had enough warm days to make you think spring has arrived, but so far they've all been followed by cold. At any rate, I've been itching to get outside and work, but it's still a little early. On one warm Saturday recently, however, I noticed something I could do that wouldn't take long but would be a big improvement.

The perennial bed along the driveway is edged with bricks.


For some reason I've never been able to understand, people like to lay bricks flat on the ground around flower beds. Our old house had the same thing when we moved in. I'm guessing that part of the rationale is that you can run the mower right up to the bed because the wheels can roll over the bricks. Never works that well, in my opinion.

Even if it did, it wouldn't make sense here because there's no grass.


Instead of enabling mowing, these bricks just enable mulch and soil to wash out of the flower bed.

So, my first project for the year was turning the bricks. Now I might not have to worry about mulch getting in the drains in the driveway.


Not perfect, but better.



And I inadvertently added some space to my flower bed.


Now I have room for a few more plants.

1 comment:

  1. That does look better - it's always satisfying when you get a job like that ticked off your list.

    ReplyDelete