Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Potatoes - my latest experiment

I decided in January that I wanted to move the potatoes out of the main garden. I just didn't like their falling down mess all over the place, so I wanted to try them in some type of container. When I said I wanted to build a box, D suggested using pallets, and that's exactly what I did. Luckily, D works in the trucking business, and was able to score me a couple clean, untreated pallets for free.

I first took the middle cross boards off of both of them and then cut them in half.


I connected three of them with metal brackets.



I was surprised at how easy that was and how well it worked.


The fourth side was attached with hooks and eyes, so it is removable.


D helped me move it to a spot in the yard.


I covered the bottom with cardboard and filled it with homemade container mix (compost, vermiculite and peat).


Then I planted the potatoes. They were puny little things.


With the potatoes in place, I got cute and planted annuals in the spaces in the pallets.


I don't even visit Pinterest - I thought that up on my own.


This whole thing is an experiment for several reasons. First, potatoes in a container. Second, the spot I chose isn't as sunny as I first thought, Third, I got the potatoes from a different place this year, and they were much smaller than ones I've planted in the past. So, if they grow well, no harm done. If they don't, I won't know which variable was the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment