Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

First things first


I'm sure a lot of you were looking at the one measly picture in my first post and wondering to yourselves, "why the heck is her garden so ghetto?" The answer to that is, I was in a hurry and I didn't want to spent a lot of money.

When I decided to make this garden, it was already October, and where I live October can mean winter. I wanted it fenced in before it got cold, and what's quicker than t posts? The answer is, not much, especially when you have a husband who puts them in for you. A little welded wire fence, and it was done. Except that I forgot about a gate. The point of the fence is to keep the dogs and the rabbits out (who am I kidding?), so a gate is pretty important. I think you'll agree that the plywood and bungie cord combo is a showstopper.




The other, less-talked about reason for the t-posts is that they're pretty easy to take out. If we had done wood fence posts in concrete, like my husband suggested, I wouldn't be able to tear them out when if it turns out that I can't handle this.

The garden April 10th

You can see in the pictures that there's snow on the ground. We've had rain, snow, sleet and hail all within the last few days, and it's been below freezing at night. I've got onion starts and asparagus roots in a pitcher with water because I can't get them in the ground. With my schedule and the weather, it looks like it'll be Sunday evening at the earliest before I can plant them.

And about the "family and friends" that I envisioned sharing this with, I still haven't asked any of them if they want to read a blog about my garden. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment