Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

More progress

Home of asparagus
 
That dug up patch of ground is where I put my asparagus. I think I mentioned that it had been living in a pitcher since it arrived because the weather has not been conducive to gardening. When I finally got around to planting it, I realized something really funny. I'd had it in the pitcher UPSIDE DOWN! Yep, all the long roots were sticking up and the crowns were on the bottom of the pitcher. When I realized that, it was completely obvious. I can't figure out why it didn't occur to me sooner. At any rate, I put five of them in this space, even though the plan said only four would fit. I'm a little concerned that my unconventional asparagus storage technique might have some negative consequences. Besides, they won't grow enough this year to fill that space anyway.

The garden April 16th

I had hoped to get my peas planted this week - I strung a string (to the right of the asparagus in the above photo) to show me where they will go - but it started raining last night and has continued most of the day. My garden looked like a swamp this afternoon. I shouldn't complain, because we need water, but I'd really like to get some things in the ground. My garlic arrived the other day, and my potatoes will be here this weekend. I don't think I can keep them in a pitcher.

In addition to gardening, I feed birds. I'm surprised at the variety I can get in my urban backyard. Last year I had baby cardinals, blue jays, robins, chickadees and doves in my yard. I like to keep track of the birds I see, so I'm going to start noting them in my blog posts.

Today's birds: chickadee, robin, grackle, cardinal, ring-neck dove

No comments:

Post a Comment