Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Potatoes!

Curiosity got the best of me the other day, and I decided to dig up some potatoes. The plants have not completely died, but I couldn't wait any longer. After the rabbit nest incident, I was pretty nervous about what I would find.

I dug out one plant, and I found this:


One pound, six ounces of potatoes. As you can see, their sizes vary widely, and they seem more like new potatoes than ones that have been underground all summer. What's important, however, is that I got over a pound of potatoes and I have five more plants to dig up!

It didn't take long for me to turn them into this:


Potato salad, in case you couldn't tell
I'm contemplating trying a different tactic for potatoes next year. I did find and evict the first nest of bunnies, but they weren't the last ones to show up in the garden. This little guy hung out for several days after Scout found and squeezed his sibling.


I had just gotten around to naming him (Adam, of course) when he disappeared. I didn't see any obvious nests in the garden, so I'm afraid he may have come out from under the potatoes. We'll see when I dig up the rest of them. My point is, I'm thinking about trying containers or a separate, more secure, garden for the potatoes.  Or I might just decide to hill them with dirt instead of straw. The spiders seem to like the straw as much as the rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment