Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Things I learned this year

Last year at this time, when I was dreaming about the garden, I was very aware of my own ignorance. I knew I was venturing into something at which I could easily fail. At this point, though, I consider The Garden 2013 a huge success. That's certainly not due to the fact that I knew what I was doing, however, and I learned a lot of things along the way.

1. Seven tomato plants is enough for us.


I planted eight plants, and one of them did not amount to anything. Even with some blossom end rot, the tomato jungle was amazing, and I ended up with canned and frozen tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, salsa, pickled cherry tomatoes, frozen roasted tomato and vegetable sauce, oven-dried tomatoes, and whole frozen tomatoes. Enough of all of them for us to be enjoying tomatoes well into winter, and I was still able to give away fresh tomatoes.

2. Never underestimate a mother rabbit. Enough said.

3. When it comes to peppers, all I really want are red and green bells. I planted nine pepper plants this year, representing seven different varieties.


The variety was pretty, but none of them stood out flavor-wise. The only plant that produced a lot of fruit was the poblano pepper (the dark green ones), and I've discovered that I don't really care for them. In the end, I was disappointed that I didn't have more chopped red and green peppers in the freezer.

4. Everything takes up more space than the online garden plan says it will.


Zinnias - much more than one square foot
5. I shouldn't plant anything too close to the gate.



Those pretty pink zinnias wouldn't let me in.

6. The fall garden needs to be planted much earlier than August 31st.

Cabbage August 31st
Cabbage November 29th
7. Squirrels are really destructive. I lost almost all of my sunflowers to squirrels....


But all I lost to rabbits were a few leaves off an ornamental sweet potato.


And rabbits were actually living inside the garden at one point.

Cuter than any squirrel
8. I love growing potatoes. Seriously. I have to figure out how to store them, so I can grow more next year.



9. There's nothing more rewarding than eating something you grew.

Beets - delicious with Thanksgiving dinner
Ugly but yummy carrot pie
Homegrown potato salad
9.5. I'm a horrible food photographer.

10. I can't wait to do it all again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment