Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Tomatoes and a thief

I planted seven tomato plants this year. Due to weather, I planted four of them on one day and the other three a week or so later. They are in different locations, but I have been shocked at the difference in their growth.


The early ones, planted in the asparagus bed are becoming a jungle. This picture is a week old, and they practically look twice this size already. These are, from left to right, Mexican Midget, Nebraska Wedding, and two Italian Heirloom. A veritable globe of tomatoes.


The others, planted in the main garden in a spot where I had tomatoes two years ago, are spindly and pathetic looking. These are Amish Paste. I know there could be many reasons for the difference, and I'll never know for sure.

I've been keeping a close eye on the developing tomatoes. Surprisingly, I still have no ripe cherry tomatoes (the un-politically correct Mexican Midget), but the Italian Heirloom plants are loaded with big, beautiful tomatoes.


I finally noticed an orange blush the other day and started dreaming about things like bruschetta and Farmgirl Susan's tomato and pesto pie. Imagine my horror when I looked out the window this morning and saw this:


I couldn't actually see it that well from the window, but I could tell something wasn't right with that tomato on the bottom. Somebody chewed off half of it!


I saw this little guy making himself at home in the bed at lunch today.


He was suspect number one until I got home from work tonight. The tomato is completely gone, picked right off the plant. The only sign of it is one tiny, little piece of tomato laying on the ground. Little rabbit couldn't have done that. I'm afraid he had a co-conspirator. We're on high alert for tomato thieves.

No comments:

Post a Comment