Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Progress on the master plan

Between work, weather, and the fact that it's getting dark earlier, I haven't been taking many pictures lately. I have been picking tomatoes every few days, but I can't seem to get myself organized enough to make a Harvest Monday post. But, I will accept my shortcomings and just post what I have been able to capture.

The morning glory I planted by my mailbox has become a beast. It's a sure miracle that three tiny seeds can turn into the mass that is this morning glory. It's also a miracle that the post office hasn't stopped delivering our mail. I've trimmed it a couple times already, and Saturday it was time for another trimming. Sadly, I didn't actually take a picture of the morning glory that day, but here's a picture from a few weeks ago. It was probably 30% larger than this on Saturday.


Once I trimmed it up, so it looked a lot like the above picture again and the mail could be delivered safely, I decided that I would pull out the landscape fabric lurking under the mulch in this garden bed. I bought 50 daffodil bulbs and wanted to put some in this garden, so the landscape fabric had to go.

Before I knew it, the fabric was gone, and I had started trimming the yuccas.


I absolutely despise yuccas, and this yard was full of them. I dug out about five from the herb garden last fall, and the plants in this garden have been in my crosshairs ever since. Yuccas have their place, but it isn't my flowerbeds.

After considerable effort, I had removed a couple clumps of yucca and a huge root.


Don't ever let anyone tell you it's easy to get rid of yuccas. It takes considerable effort, and I'll be fighting these plants for years. Any piece of root that is left in the ground will sprout. I've been pulling sprouts out of the herb garden all summer, and I know there are some big ones lurking under the zinnias even now.

Speaking of the herb garden, once the yuccas were gone, I dug two clumps of black-eyed Susans out of the herb garden and stuck them where the yuccas used to be.


I had no qualms about digging up the black-eyed Susans. I successfully transplanted several of them this spring, and they grow like weeds in my yard. The next day I planted daffodils and crocuses in the empty area.

I can't wait to see what this garden looks like next spring. Remind me that I don't want to plant morning glories by the mailbox again.

2 comments:

  1. I am always thoroughly amazed at what tiny, almost microscopic flower seeds turn into. Since I'm new to growing ornamentals, I still tend to space the plants much too closely and in the wrong spot as it just seems impossible that they will fill up the space & tower over the other plants in such a short amount of time. Every year new lessons learned, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! The trick is to remember what you learned one year when it's time to plant the next.

    ReplyDelete