Pages

Monday, June 25, 2018

Once and future harvests

We went from brutal temperatures to rain, and I've been known to hide inside from both of those things. Luckily, we've had enough breaks in the rain that I finally took notice of what was going on in the garden, which was peas and beets!


Gratuitous picture of the garden helper, guarding the harvest:


I should've picked the peas sooner, as some of them were too big and ended up in the compost pile. The rest were very good with dinner, however. Glory the garden helper wanted nothing to do with the raw peas but loved them once they were cooked.

In future harvest news, almost everything seems to be enjoying the rain.

zucchini

sweet potatoes
cantalope



I was about ready to pull out the broccoli and then I noticed that a couple of the plants have teeny, tiny heads. I'm not expecting those to amount to anything, but I'm willing to see what happens.


Last but not least, I pruned my peach tree the other day. I'm following some instructions I found in Mother Earth News and attempting to prune it in a way that will keep it small, but I'm not confident I'm doing it correctly.

before
after
At any rate, while I was trimming, I found two little, green, fuzzy peaches.



I wasn't expecting any fruit on it this year, so if these ripen, they'll be a special treat. I have high hopes for peach crisp and peach ice cream and lots of fresh peaches right off the tree, but I'd be happy with just a little taste this year.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you and your peaches! My nectarine had a couple of babies on it but they have disappeared over the past week. Same thing happened last year - I'm thinking squirrels maybe. I need to do some pruning on my trees as well - that's one task that I really wish I had some in-person guidance on as I'm always second guessing myself.

    ReplyDelete