Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Fall garden, take two

A few weeks ago, I proudly proclaimed that I had a fall garden.

Shortly after that, it started to go downhill. The beet sprouts disappeared. I could see that some fell over and shriveled up, but the rest just disappeared. I'm not really sure if it was too hot or too dry or if bugs got them, but they're gone.

The peas are still around, but not fairing much better.


This is one of the best-looking ones. It's been brutally hot, and several of them look cooked. I've been trying to help them stay cool with water and mulch. After today, temperatures are supposed to get cooler, so maybe some will survive. You can see in the background that the weeds aren't suffering.

Lucky for me, I went to the garden center this morning. What a pleasant surprise to find fall vegetable plants for sale. I got some Southern Comet broccoli and Red Acre cabbage. Then I just had to squeeze them into the garden.


The broccoli moved into the area recently vacated by the disappearing beet sprouts.


The cabbage is squeezed in between the basil and the zinnias. I pulled one of my two cucumber plants to make room. I sure hope these guys do well.

Today's birds: blue jay, mourning dove, brown-headed cowbird, chickadee, white-breasted nuthatch, sparrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment