Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The most fun to harvest

Potatoes win the K's Garden 2013 prize for the most fun edible to harvest. You probably didn't even know there was such a prize. Well, I made it up last Saturday while I was digging potatoes.

This was the first time I've ever grown potatoes. As with everything I grow, I was excited to see the first sprouts.


And then I was somewhat shocked at how fast they grew.


I quickly ran out of the topsoil I had for covering them and decided to try straw. That $10 bag of straw from Tractor Supply might've been my best gardening purchase of the year.


The potatoes kept right on growing, but then they started to fall over...


right about the time they started to bloom.


Shortly after, this happened. I still can't believe it myself.

When the plants started dying back, I stopped taking pictures, and began waiting. When I couldn't take it any more, I carefully dug some up. They were so good, I dug up some more. Last Saturday, I decided it was time to dig the rest of them.

Is there anything as exciting as gently pulling away the straw and seeing this?



Or pulling a plant out of the ground and having this come out with it?


I dug up 12 pounds on Saturday, giving me a total of 15 pounds from six plants. I don't know if that's good, bad or average, but it was enough for me.


The potatoes are all different sizes, but every one I've eaten has tasted wonderful. I don't have ideal storage conditions so I've shared some of them. My neighbor said they were awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Boy do those ever look good! Yay!! I'm having fun catching up on your harvest, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, luckybunny! Glad you're enjoying the blog and I hope you're taking care of yourself.

      Delete