Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

What do we have here?

It was such a nice day yesterday that I spent some time outside with the dogs. When I got close to the compost pile, I noticed something.


That's the Long Island Cheese pumpkin I had on my porch this fall. After it froze, I tossed it in the composter, and now apparently someone has been chewing on it.


That's not what caught my eye, however. What made me stop and look was the amount of feathers and bird poop around it.


My first thought was that maybe the birds were the ones eating the pumpkin. Then I thought maybe the birds had tried to eat the pumpkin, and Mr. Squirrel put an end to that. I don't underestimate the evil of squirrels anymore, and this guy thinks he owns the composter.


I'm afraid, however, that the real answer is not nearly as interesting. Big, fat, invasive collared doves roost in my cedar trees, dropping poop and feathers all night. It looks like they've begun roosting right above the composter. I'm hoping that composted dove poop is good for the garden.

On an unrelated note, I was rewarded for getting up early this morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment