Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Late summer

The garden - August 23rd
We're back to regular rain but temperatures are normal for August, so it's hot, humid and at times ridiculously wet. I cut down the cherry tomato plant yesterday.

One down
The plant had been kind of sickly all season, and the tomatoes that weren't rotting on the vine were cracking as soon as they were picked, so it was time.

I decided to rig up some support for my dry bush beans (Jacob's cattle). They've basically been lying on the ground for a few weeks, and I've seen mold on several pods already. With more rain in the forecast, it seemed smart to try to get them off  the ground a little.

Ugly contraption as usual

 I didn't take an official "before" photo so you'll have to believe me when I say they're much more upright now. They had been covering the straw you see above them in the second photo.

I'm getting really close to my first red pepper.


This picture is from several days ago, so it's much redder now. I also might actually have some cucumbers this year.


I forgot to plant cucumbers when I was supposed to, so I threw this seed in the ground a few weeks ago. It's a bush variety, and it's got a few flowers on it already.

In other news, I planted a cover crop in a few of the empty areas and it's starting to sprout. It's a mix of oats and peas that I found at a local garden center. I'm thinking about thinning out the zinnias and planting some in their area as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment