Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

A day of destruction

Moving day is fast approaching, so I spent Saturday doing some final garden clean up. The first thing I tackled was the potato planter.


The design worked exactly as planned. After I pulled all the plants out, I unhooked the hooks and eyes, and pulled the front side right off.


In the process, I disturbed a big ant colony. I really messed up their world yesterday.


Then I unscrewed the four screws holding the rest of it together and had all the parts down in no time.


I did have supervision.


With all of the rain we've had, I half expected to find nothing but rotten potatoes. Instead, I found some really good new potatoes.


I then cut the cucumbers off the trellis. There are several plants growing along the ground, and I left those. If nothing else, they will help deter weeds.


I used up the last of my straw bale putting a layer all over the empty areas in the garden. I just don't want it to be too full of weeds when the buyer gets here.


The most unsavory thing I did all day was take down the black composter, which is where the kitchen waste went. No pictures of that process because it was messy and there were too many creepy, crawly things that I had to keep my eyes on.


A large portion of the compost was really close to done, so I buried it in the middle of the other composter. Since buyer didn't ask us to remove it, she's getting that one. In the notes I leave her, I'll let her know that it should be nothing but good soil by next spring if she leaves it alone. The black composter got hosed off and is now ready to load up.


The last thing I did was pull my garden sign out from under the cucumber vine. I'm looking forward to finding a new place for it in the next garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment