Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

A beautiful Saturday

Saturday was pretty much a perfect day. The sun was shining, the high was in the mid 70's, and I had a whole day to spend with the garden.

The garden September 14th
I started by picking several pounds of tomatoes and deciding what to do with them.



With a whole day in front of me, I opted for oven-drying and roasting.

Oven drying:

before
after
Roasting - with onions and peppers:

before
after
All of that yummy, tomatoey goodness is now tucked away in the freezer. That's going to be a real taste of summer when the weather turns cold.

The beans were looking worn out.


So I pulled them. Once they were out, the bean goal post went, too.


I threw some groundhog radish seeds into the empty spot. There probably isn't enough time for them to grow fully, but that corner really needs better drainage, so I might as well try.

The tomatoes are just amazing this year.




We had quite a bit of rain last night and some of them were splitting this morning, so I picked a lot of them. Some went to the neighbor, and most of the rest went into the freezer. I've got over 20 pounds in there now, and I'm running out of room. I need a few more pounds before I make sauce. I also need a bigger freezer.

Today's birds: cardinal, mourning dove, sparrow, white-breasted nuthatch, blue jay, purple finch.

No comments:

Post a Comment