Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Checking in

It's been awhile since I last posted. On the one hand, it seems like there hasn't been much to tell and on the other hand, I've been busy.

The garden September 11th

The tomatoes have started ripening so fast I can't keep up with them. In the past week, I've roasted them (with a lot of other garden vegies), oven-dried them, frozen them, canned them, and given them away. I picked 11 pounds on Monday and got seven pints out of that. I've now got 15 pints of canned tomatoes. I've also got quite a few pounds in the freezer waiting for tomato-sauce-making day. Since the red furry bastards finished off all of the sunflowers, they have started to steal tomatoes. I've found several on the ground, obviously chewed on. I suppose I have plenty to share, but it's annoying, all the same.

I'm still getting some green beans, although the plants are starting to look worn out. I've got 1.5 pounds in the freezer, which is the most I've ever had.

In our most recent heat wave, the peppers really started to ripen.


I picked quite a few good looking ones tonight. I also have a lot that are rotting on the plant, like the ones on the right.


I have to admit that, since I already made some salsa, I really don't know what to do with these. I'm contemplating cutting them in slices and pickling them. Several of my "green" peppers seem to be going straight to red. My red pepper plant, on the other hand, isn't doing much at all.

Lastly, I seem to have a white fly infestation in my broccoli.


I squirt the plants with an alcohol and water mix tonight. We'll see how that works.

Now I'm off to check on the basil that is drying in the oven.

1 comment:

  1. Hey K! You won the book on our blog! I can't figure out how to contact you, so will you send me a note to Ksredhead1950@gmail.com, so I know where to send the book? Calamity Acres... Mary Ann... thanks!

    ReplyDelete