Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Tomato sauce Saturday

The time had finally come over the weekend. I had to get the tomatoes out of the freezer, so Saturday was designated tomato sauce day.

I didn't remember until Saturday morning that I was out of canning jars, so after weighing the tomatoes, I left them on the counter to start thawing while I ran to the store.




Back with the jars, it was time to get started. All of the tomatoes went into the biggest stock pot I have. 26 pounds is a lot of tomatoes.


I slowly heated them until they thawed and then simmered them for 20 minutes.


After running all of that through the food mill, I had 10 quarts of tomato juice.


If you're paying attention to the clock on the stove, you can see it's been 2 1/2 hours since they went in the pot. From here, I divided this into three pots to save time and set them all to simmering. After several more hours, I was down to just under six quarts, and I decided it was done (or at least I was).

I put six pints in the canner and the rest in jars for the freezer. Unfortunately, one of the jars popped its lid during processing, so I ended up with five sticky jars of tomato sauce. I'm not sure why it failed, but the rest all sealed. In the end, I got five canned pints and six frozen ones.


Look at that tomatoey deliciousness. It looks better in person, I promise. I'm not a food photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment