Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Constant

The garden - October 10th

With fall here it seems like things should be grinding to a halt, but I've noticed that that isn't happening. Each morning I spend time just looking at the garden, trying to be aware and not miss anything. As in spring, something is different every day. Sometimes the change is at my hands, sometimes Mother Nature's.

I've continued to trim the tomatoes slowly.

One tomato trimmed to the ground
The tomato jungle is looking more like an arbor.


The broccoli plants are getting very big. I didn't realize they would be so tall.



The cabbage is just plain beautiful.


The zinnias are still blooming, but they are starting to fall over.


I've noticed the stems breaking.


Some of the radishes are beginning to get big. I spied this one this morning.


The salvia I had all but forgotten have come to life again with the cooler fall temperatures.


Last but not least, the asparagus plants, which I have essentially ignored all summer, have become beautiful, feathery shrubs.


I think I'll be eating asparagus next spring.

Today's birds: robin, blue jay, northern flicker, junco (a "snowbird"!)

No comments:

Post a Comment