Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2015

The growings on around here

The garden June 20th
You'll notice a lot of empty space in the garden compared to last year around this time. That's because I ended up not planting any beans this year. I'm now fighting with weeds in those empty spaces and trying to decide what to do about it.

The upside is that the weeds aren't the only things growing. I planted two types of cucumbers this year, and I'm surprised at the difference between them.

Japanese climbing cucumber
Mexican sour gherkin
I hope the sour gherkin catches up.

The lettuce is pretty much done.


We didn't eat a whole lot of it, but now I know I like this lettuce and will plant it again.

Looks like we'll be eating peas pretty soon


and broccoli, too.


I'll have about six carrots,


even though I planted a whole pack of seed. I have some things to learn about carrots, clearly, but I already have some ideas for next year's garden that I think will help.

The garlic is just beginning to turn a little brown.


All of the asparagus plants I planted this spring are now sprouting. They did nothing for weeks, and now I see little fuzzy asparagus sprouts all over the bed.



Last but not least, it's about time to pick cabbage.


I'm planning on eating some tasty coleslaw this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment