Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Around the garden

I've found myself getting somewhat forgetful about harvesting things this year. I was a little late on the beets, several of the peas were too big before I picked them, and I just remembered to check on the carrots yesterday. I've been having so much fun watching stuff grow, that I almost forgot that's not the last step.

The garden - June 25th
Yesterday, I managed to give the garden a pretty good once over and spotted a few things going on.

The basil is doing very well.


The zinnias are all blooming. This variety has smaller flowers than the ones I planted last year, but they're still pretty.


Quite a few of the onions have fallen over already. It seems a little early.

Pay no attention to the weeds
The radishes and lettuce have covered the hugel nicely. We've picked and eaten some radishes, but I'm mostly just leaving everything there.


There has been a lot of erosion, to the point that my squash plant almost fell off the end. It looked like this a week ago:


It's growing away from the mound, and its roots were coming out of the dirt. I tried to dig them down in and cover them with more topsoil. So far, it's working, and the plant looks much better. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Last but not least, I've got several volunteer tomato plants.


I'm gambling that I can pick the beans before these tomatoes become a problem. I might need these plants because a couple of my other tomato plants aren't looking very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment