Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ta daa!

I've been working on this project for awhile, and it's finally done.


What is it? If you ask D, he'll say I buried Thor, but the real answer is that this is my first attempt at hugelkultur.

I'm pretty stoked about it, so I'm going to explain what I did, but this absolutely should not be taken as any kind of instruction on how to do hugelkultur. I'm fairly certain that I did several things wrong because when it comes to things like this, I only read enough to get the basics, and then I completely wing it from there. If you want to learn more about hugelkultur, and the right way to do it, the place to look is permies.com.

I had stumbled onto some articles about hugelkultur recently and got really excited when I realized I had a tree that needed trimming. One day in April, a tree guy cut several large branches off a linden tree in my front yard. He thought I was crazy when I told him I wanted him to leave all the branches in the yard and just cut the biggest ones into shorter pieces, but he did it anyway. I started with this:

April 11th
On the first day, I cut down all the pieces, and arranged them by size.


Then I hauled them all into my back yard. I know the neighbors thought I was crazy. Next, I starting laying out the largest pieces, trying to figure out how big I could make the structure.

April 12th


I settled on roughly four feet by ten feet. Then I started digging out the sod.


All of the sod went into a wheelbarrow, and I started piling the biggest pieces of wood.

April 19th


I started adding the small branches and also laid some of the sod upside down on the pile.



The next weekend, I finished laying all of the dug-out sod on top of the branches.

May 26th
Then I bought several bags of top soil and poured it into the cracks, in an attempt to fill the spaces in between the branches.



This was a very dirty task.

After that, it sat for a few weeks. I didn't want to finish it off too early, because I wanted to be able to put seeds on it right away. I also didn't want it to get rained on as soon as I finished.

The final touch was several more bags of top soil poured over the top.

May 17th
I had decided I was going to try to grow the squash seeds that Seed Savers Exchange gifted me with, but they won't grow fast enough to cover the mound, so I also scattered lettuce and radish seeds all over it. Then I covered it with straw to hopefully help hold everything in place in the rain.


It didn't take long for the seeds to sprout.

May 21st
So that's the beginning of my first hugelkultur. I'll let you know how it develops and what I learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment