Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

It's on!

The garden is officially underway. This past weekend I almost got caught up on planting.

But first, I had to dig something out. I'm not proud of the fact that I've just about killed more things than I've planted at this house, but it's all for the greater good, and the ratio is going to be leaning heavily toward things I've planted pretty soon.

If there is anything I hate more than Stella d'Oro day lilies, it's red Knockout Roses. Yuck. Hate them both for the same reason, but the roses aren't even pretty. They're not red and they're not pink. They're a sick reddish pink bleck.

before
after
After spreading compost all over the west wall, it only made sense to make use of all of that space. Instead of planting two or three asparagus plants in a raised bed, like I'd originally planned, I planted all seven plants that came in my order where that ugly rose bush used to be.

the asparagus bed
Look at my new tool I used to dig the holes.


It was a birthday present from a dear friend. The edges are serrated.


Looks mean, but works great.

Next I moved onto the raised beds. I placed the cucumber and bean towers, so I could get my layout right.


Then I planted the broccoli and cabbage that I "cold sowed" this winter.


Look at the roots on that broccoli:


Being dumped upside down didn't even hurt it. In addition to transplanting the brassicas, I planted lettuce, carrots and radishes.

onions, broccoli and carrots
onions, cabbage, carrots and lettuce
onions and radishes
That was it for Saturday, but last night I planted out the kale and marigolds.

onions and kale
marigolds and radishes
marigolds and carrots
Now, I have to water. It's been pretty dry here, and I don't have my rain barrel set up yet, so I'm using the hose. Hopefully, we'll get some spring showers soon, but not until after I get the rain barrel set up!

While I was outside planting all of these things in the gardens, I really started to feel like this place is home. K's garden is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment