Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The rest of the compost

When I stopped Thursday, I had added the peat and vermiculite to the raised beds and mixed it up with the compost.


Friday morning, I hauled a few more tarp loads of compost down the hill for each bed, until I decided I shouldn't put anymore into them. Then I turned my attention to other areas.

I hadn't planned on getting the potato box out until my potatoes arrived, but since it could hold some compost, I took it out of storage and set it up.


It went together really well, just liked I'd planned when I built it last year. I also mixed peat and vermiculite with the compost, and now it's ready for potatoes and flowers.

The herb garden is very close to the driveway, so it got a few inches of compost spread all over it. I even broadforked it a little bit to get the compost mixed in. Of course, I forgot to take a picture.

I didn't move much more compost on Friday. It was cold and wet, and I wasn't ready to tackle the next piece of "operation compost".

Saturday was much warmer, and I was very motivated to get the rest of the compost out of my driveway. The only other place I had to put it was the wall:


On the right of the picture, the wall has various perennials, shrubs and mulch. Since we're sure they won't be widening the adjacent street this summer, I've decided that I will plant peppers on that wall. On the back of the wall, which is the middle of the picture, it's covered with rocks. There is one small cleared area that had a tomato plant in it last year. I've decided I'm going to plant my tomatoes up there, using the cleared area, and removing more rocks as needed.

The trick was getting the compost on the wall. Luckily, D is pretty smart, and a few weeks ago he rigged up one of the fence panels on the back of the wall with hooks so we could remove the panel. The fence separates the front yard from the back, so with the panel removed, we can access the wall from the front yard. All I had to do was load up the wheelbarrow in the driveway, push it across the front yard, and on down the wall where I wanted the compost.



It didn't take long for me to get almost all of the compost moved. I threw the rest in the back of D's truck, and we took it to my dad's house, so he could use it in his gardens.

By 2:00 Saturday afternoon, the compost pile looked like this;


All that's left is a dirt spot.


After all that work over the weekend, I felt like I could take it easy, but now I'm realizing that it's time for a lot of things to get planted. I'm just glad planting things is much easier than hauling compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment