Pages

Monday, August 15, 2016

Harvest Monday 8.15.16

Over the past couple weeks, most of my harvests have been pretty much the same...a motley mix of tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.

August 3rd

August 5th
I did pick my first Nebraska Wedding tomato last week. It's much smaller than the Italian Heirlooms have been.

6.25 ounces

August 9th
Another notable harvest was the very first Mexican Sour Gherkins. These guys are cool because they fall off the plant when they're ripe. You just have to make sure you don't step on them. Ahem.
August 9th
It took me a couple days to get up enough nerve to try them. They are definitely unique. They taste a little like watermelon, but there is a little hint of sour. It's the texture that I wasn't expecting. The inside is a lot like a cherry tomato, but the skin is almost like an apple. It crunches when you bite it.

My zucchini plant gifted me with a surprise zucchini. I really didn't think I'd get anymore, but now I guess I get to eat zucchini carrot fritters one more time this summer.

August 13th
Although, we've actually discovered that grilled zucchini is delicious, too. Maybe I can get one more before the season's over.

August 13th
So darn cute

August 14th
I didn't get very many potatoes this year, but they are delicious. We roasted some of the smallest ones on the grill last night and ate them with tuna steaks. Not a bad meal to enjoy on the deck.

The basil is getting past its prime, so I cut down a bunch of it yesterday and made some more pesto.
August 14th
I freeze pesto in muffin tins. Ice cubes are such small portions, and a muffin size is closer to what we eat.

Looking back, I see that I've actually gotten quite a variety out of the garden lately. To see what others are harvesting, check out Our Happy Acres' Harvest Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Great harvests...loving the potatoes! I had heard ambivalent reviews about those tiny gherkins, but just this past year several bloggers indicated that they are actually quite delicious - I love sour, so I will have to add those to my "to try" list.

    And you've reminded me that I'd best get to making a few batches of pesto too, once the rain stops (it's been so dry, I think that's the first time I've said that this year!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great variety of goodies you are getting out of your garden! Like Margaret, I think I will have to give the sour gherkins a try next year. Your roasted potatoes sound yummy too. I often roast them in the oven, but I've never done them on the grill. I'll have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete