Pages

Monday, August 22, 2016

Harvest Monday 8.22.16

There wasn't much variety out of the garden this week. The pepper plants are empty and hardly have any blooms. The zucchini is still valiantly plugging away, but the fruits are rotting. I put the cucumber out of its misery. This week was almost all about tomatoes.

I picked the biggest tomato so far...


an Italian Heirloom, just over a pound.

The Nebraska Wedding tomatoes (yellow) have really started to ripen.



And, obviously, so have the Mexico Midgets.


I took a big bowl of them to work to share one day, and they were gone in less than 10 minutes.

The little gherkins continue to drop off the vine...


and I keep making people taste them.

The small Roma-looking tomatoes are from a volunteer that I let grow. I have no idea what it is, but I'm happy to have the tomatoes.

So far I haven't had enough tomatoes and enough time at the same time to do any canning. I have made a couple batches of roasted tomato sauce, which have gone into the freezer. I've also put a few whole tomatoes in the freezer. Hopefully, I'll eventually get enough for canning.

To round out the week, I went out to the garden earlier this evening and found a few green beans.


Not enough to do anything with yet, but I'll take them.

Linking up with Our Happy Acres for Harvest Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely tomatoes - people that don't grow their own always go nuts over homegrown tomatoes, don't they? I had guests over this past weekend too and they couldn't get over the flavour of the tomatoes. And I would take those snap beans too - rust pretty meant an early demise for my plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeously huge tomato. We haven't had enough to can either and now tomato season is over for us. Hopefully next year will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Mexico Midgets too, so prolific and tasty. Though I tried Italian Heirloom a few years back and didn't have much luck. Yours is lovely, truly a beauty!

    ReplyDelete