Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Margaret was right!

Last week, Margaret at Homegrown posted a picture of two beautiful caterpillars she'd found on her dill plant. When I commented that I had lots of dill but hadn't seen any caterpillars, she told me to keep my eyes open.

Well, yesterday after work, I was outside, and I glanced at the dill in the herb garden. Guess what I found?

This guy:


He was pretty big and hard to miss. After I saw him, I looked more closely, and there were others.

Two on this plant:


and another over here:


I had seen a black swallowtail flitting around the herb garden on several occasions, so I shouldn't have been surprised to find the caterpillars, but it was still a wonderful discovery.

Today, I was only able to find one. The big guy might've been big enough to have moved on to working on his chrysalis. I've read that they just disappear and are not often seen in that stage. If his chrysalis is anywhere in the jungle that is the herb garden, there is little chance I will find it, but I will definitely be growing more dill next year.


1 comment:

  1. Hurray...that's amazing! I've only found the two so far, but just like you, my herb bed is a jungle so who knows what's hiding in there. I think I'll give it a good look today - never know what you will find!

    ReplyDelete