Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Fall garden update

I certainly can't say success is a given, but a little progress has been made on the fall garden.

Even after dispatching the caterpillar, my seedlings didn't exactly thrive. I moved them in and out of the sun, and occasionally even inside to keep them from drowning in the rain. Temperatures were high enough not to be ideal for cabbage and beets, but I didn't lose too many of them.

I went out of town last weekend and decided to plant them in the garden before I left. With rain in the forecast, it meant D wouldn't have to do any garden chores for me while I was gone.

Since I know the damn rabbits will find them now, I had to plant them in the two fenced gardens. The beets got planted where cabbage and onions had been earlier.


They're in there, I promise. You can just barely make out little tiny purple leaves.

I had way more cabbage seedlings than I needed because I'd originally thought I might share some with my dad, and every single one I planted had survived. Unfortunately, my last minute decision meant I had to plant all of them in my garden, so two went under the cucumbers.


And the other seven went in the bed behind the beans, where the broccoli and carrots used to be. You can hardly see them for the weeds, basil and straw.


I didn't pay any attention to whether or not I was planting behind plants they shouldn't be in succession with. Also, the seedlings were tiny, so if I get to eat cabbage and beets this fall, I'll consider myself lucky.

It has been over a week since I planted them. While I was away, one of the cabbages under the cucumber trellis disappeared, leaving no trace. The others are doing fine so far. I haven't taken any more pictures because they are still so small, but hopefully they will be more photogenic, i.e., much bigger, soon.


1 comment:

  1. I've cut drastically back on fall planting this year - basically nothing except for lettuce. Like you, I plopped the seedlings in the ground and am hoping for the best. If half of them make it, I'll be happy - or at least happier than if none of them make it :)

    ReplyDelete