Pages

Friday, September 9, 2016

More hope for fall

Even though the Mexican Sour Gherkins were still growing, I decided to pull the plant and use the space. I haven't developed a taste for them yet, and the ones falling off the plant now seem to be more sour than the first few.

before
after
In the space, I put two rows of red radishes and one row of white icicle radishes. I've read about roasting radishes, and I'd really like to try it.



While I was working, I saw this guy.


He ran away pretty fast, but not before I got a picture. I saw another, bigger one, but he got away from me. I have seen mantises of all sizes this year, from barely an inch long to the six inch giants. I love them all.

In other fall garden news, the beets are growing.




2 comments:

  1. We haven't seen any mantis yet this year - ours aren't very shy, in fact that last time we saw one, we walked right up to it and then it started to crawl up my daughters foot. She was mesmerized...for a minute; then she started to panic that it would go up her leg. All's well and we placed it back on the deck where in no time, it was back on it's merry way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're such amusing creatures, but I can imagine they can be a little scary when they're crawling on you.

    ReplyDelete