Pages

Monday, September 12, 2016

Harvest Monday 9.12.16

Linking up with Harvest Monday at Our Happy Acres again. It really is fun to see what others are harvesting.

This was a week of more for me. I've been getting some tomatoes, but this week, I was picking quite a few more each time. I also got one more zucchini.

Sept. 5th
Sept. 6th
This one weighed in over a pound.


At this point, I had enough to can seven pints.

I almost tore the bean plants out last weekend. I'm glad I didn't because when I finally started paying attention to them, I realized they were covered with beans.

Over a pound at one picking.

Sept. 7th
And more a few days later.

Sept. 10th
I pulled my pressure canner out of storage, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to try canning them yet. I haven't mastered the whole pressure canning thing, but I think I have enough beans to justify another attempt.

On Sunday afternoon I picked a few more tomatoes. I forgot to take their picture, however, because I was in too much of a hurry to turn them into garden-fresh tomato juice for some homemade bloody Mary mix. My bloody Mary recipe needs some perfecting, but the tomato juice was delicious.


2 comments:

  1. What a pleasant surprise the beans must have been! My vines are taking a break but blooming again so I hope to get a few more myself. It's been quite a while since I canned beans, I usually freeze them now instead. The Bloody Marys sound like a good use for that tomato juice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that certainly was lucky leaving those bean plants - over 1 lb is quite a picking! I picked a few last Romanos today but really don't see anything else on the vines so they are being pulled this week. It's been a rather dismal bean year for me, especially when it comes to the snap beans - I'm hoping to do much better next season.

    ReplyDelete