Pages

Monday, September 5, 2016

Harvest Monday 9.5.16

I don't have much to show this week, but what I do have is a first.

I picked my first butternut squash on Wednesday.


It was a little under two pounds, and I'm not completely sure it was ripe. The stem is turning brown and I couldn't puncture the skin with my fingernail, both of which I understand are signs of ripeness. I should've cooked it to see for sure, because there are several more at about the same point, but it's too hot to eat squash so I diced it and froze it. Yes, I said it's too hot to eat squash. While we've been having some cooler temperatures, it's 90 degrees again today, and squash is fall food to me, so tasting will have to wait.

Swing on over to Harvest Monday at Our Happy Acres to see the wonderful variety of things other gardeners are harvesting.

3 comments:

  1. It looks ripe from here. Congrats on that first butternut! They will keep for some time, so you don't have to process or eat them right away if you want to wait for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for your first butternut harvest!! I know the feeling - I harvested my first one last year and it was truly my first successful attempt at growing winter squash as I harvested 5 squash from 2 plants (whereas in the past, I my "record" was 1 squash from 1 plant). And Dave is right - I placed mine in the basement (which stays at about 18C or so year round) and they kept for months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I didn't realize the squash would store that easily. That's really good news, because I have several more that look ready.

    ReplyDelete