Pages

Monday, July 11, 2016

Harvest Monday 7.11

I had a few notable harvests this week.

First, basil. My brother and I had worked out a pesto deal a couple months ago. When we were visiting our sister in New Mexico, he bought some pinon nuts. The deal was, I'd grow the basil, he'd supply the pinon nuts, and we'd make pesto. I jumped the gun a little on Tuesday, picked a small bunch and made a little batch of pesto.


Saturday, with my brother en route to my house with the pinons, I picked a lot more basil.


We made a double batch of pesto, and I froze mine in muffin tins. I love pulling pesto out of the freezer in January. I'm not sure any of this will last that long, but I've already got some more basil sprouting.

It occurred to me this week that my carrots were probably ready to pull. One thing I need to do better is identify a projected harvest date for things like carrots, that you can't really see. If I don't have a date in mind, I forget that they need to be pulled. At any rate, I pulled a few, and they looked great.


Well, most of them did.


This was the biggest one.


The carrots are Danvers from Seed Savers Exchange. Most of them will end up in carrot pie, my absolute favorite way to eat carrots, but I decided to try something new and made pickled carrots.


It isn't possible for me to take a decent picture inside. I'll never figure out the lighting.

At any rate, the recipe I used was a more "bread and butter" type recipe, so they turned out pretty sweet. I like them, but next time I will look for a less-sweet recipe.

The final and most exciting harvest of the week...


three Mexico Midget tomatoes! And, it was so humid again that the camera fogged up. These little things are going right into my belly.

I'm linking up again with Harvest Monday at Our Happy Acres.

2 comments:

  1. Your pesto sounds great! And your carrots look real good to me, since mine didn't do anything this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. This is my best carrot year ever, so I'm very happy with them.

    ReplyDelete