Pages

Monday, July 18, 2016

Harvest Monday 7.18

It's Monday again, and that means joining in Harvest Monday at Our Happy Acres.

After a week or so of reasonable temperatures, we're going back to the upper 90's and 100's later this week. Luckily, we've been getting fairly regular rain, so nothing is suffering too bad yet. We'll see how we're all doing in a few days.

This past week was a pretty good one, with a couple notable harvests. Tuesday, I pulled some more carrots and cut some kale. In addition to my regular few leaves for daily smoothies, I picked enough to freeze some.


Carrot pie was on the menu on Thursday, and it was delicious as usual, but it isn't photogenic.

I declared my onions cured, bagged them and hung them in the basement.


I don't have a scale that could weigh them properly, but based on my weight on the scale, holding the bag, I say that's close to 10 pounds of onions.

I've been watching a couple cucumbers and decided on Sunday they were ready. It's a good thing I took my gardener's tote with me.


I ended up picking four cucumbers, a zucchini, several more carrots and my first Healthy pepper.



The zucchini was a real surprise. The plant itself is basically rotting away.


And every other zucchini has been chucked in the composter.


The one I got is the biggest one I've seen on the plant so far. I'm thinking about zucchini and carrot fritters some night this week.

Four cucumbers is a lot when they're this big.


I want to try some refrigerator pickles. If I don't get around to it this week, we'll eat them as cucumber salad or maybe share a couple with friends. There are plenty more on the plant.

The summer veggies are finally starting to come in, and I'm looking forward to a lot more Harvest Mondays.


4 comments:

  1. Those are some nice looking cucumbers you have there. I've lost a couple of my zucchini plants too. It looks like the stems just rotted, perhaps from all the rain. I try to remember and always take my harvest basket to the garden with me too, because whenever I forget it I find lots of goodies to harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Every time I turn my back, there are more cucumbers!

      Delete
  2. I wonder if your zucchini got vine borers, maybe it'll recover if so. Those are some beautiful cucumbers and carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look into what a vine borer does, as I'm not familiar with them. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete