Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2016

The heat

Earlier this week, our weather finally broke and temperatures returned to something tolerable. Before that, we'd had about 4 weeks with daytime highs of at least 90 and more often 95-100. It was stifling and certainly took a toll on the garden.

I mentioned earlier how the onions had already fallen over. I finally decided to pull them all and take what I got.


This one was the biggest:


The basil is already blooming, so I'm going to end up picking most of it soon.


I have planted a few seeds next to these plants, and I will probably put some more in the raised beds. I really wanted a good stash of pesto in the freezer this year.

My potatoes are struggling to bloom. There are just a few flowers barely visible.


I didn't get my second cabbage picked before it turned into pac man.

feed me
It looks like I'm going to have some carrot flowers.


I've never had carrots flower before, so I'm curious to see what they look like. So far, there are only two plants doing this.

On a good note, the cucumbers are going crazy.


The difference between the two varieties is striking. The Mexican Sour Gherkin is such a dainty little plant.


I should've thinned the seedlings a little better. These pictures were a few days ago, and both varieties are climbing the fence now. The Japanese climbing cucumber is way off the top of the trellis and just about over the fence. I'll be stepping over it to walk around the gardens soon.

I've spotted a couple little zucchini.


Last year was my first year growing them, and I only got one. I'm hoping to get more than that this year, and I've got my eyes open for good zucchini recipes.

I've also seen some blooms on the tomatoes.


So, even though the heat took its toll on some things in the garden, there are many others to look forward to.


2 comments:

  1. We've had hot, hot weather here too and as you point out, some plants love it while others don't. That is quite the difference between the two cucumber plants!

    A couple of years ago, I thought I had a couple of flowering carrots in my bed as well, but they turned out to be Queen Anne's Lace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it isn't Queen Anne's Lace! If that got started in my yard, I'm not sure I'd ever get rid of it.

      Delete