Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Around the garden

Not much happening, except that everything is growing!

The garden May 22nd

I swear the potatoes are growing six inches a day. I don't completely cover them, but I've put a lot of top soil on them and they just keep sticking out. I want to find some straw to cover them with, but that's not very easy this time of year in the city.


The zinnias and marigolds are already sprouting but are too small to photograph yet. The carrots are growing slowly. There are sections that didn't germinate, so I may try to replant, but we'll see.

Some of the peas have figured out what the fence is for.


The garlic is a foot tall. Spring may not be the best time to plant it, but it seems to be doing just fine.


The peppers and tomatoes are looking good.


Only a few things left to plant. Beans are next. I'm going to plant both pole beans and bush beans. I'm trying a new trellis design for the pole beans this year, so I need to get that made before I plant them. I'll be out of town this weekend, but D and I will be working on that soon. I've also got various planters and beds I'll be filling with herbs, sunflowers, and flowers so I've still got lots of work.

Wednesday's birds: chickadee, robin, grackle, house sparrow, mourning dove, bluejay, ringneck dove, red-bellied woodpecker (first time in my backyard!)

No comments:

Post a Comment