Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Please don't hail!

The garden May 27th
Almost all of the garden projects are done, and severe weather is in the forecast. That just sucks.

I was out of town Saturday and Sunday, so I had to do all of my weekend gardening today. One of the first things I did was buy some awesome new gardening gloves. They're awesome because they're orange.



Then, I made this:



I totally love cinder block gardens, but as much as I love them, a whole block wall wouldn't work in my world, so I settled for a cinder block bed. In the bed are sunflowers for the birds, with some pretty annuals around the edge. After I got the blocks set, I had to mix up the soil to fill it. I mix my own by throwing compost, peat moss and vermiculite on a tarp and mixing it with a pitchfork. Once the cinder block bed was full, the rest went into these:


And this:



The wheelbarrow is probably older than me. Someone left it at our house several years ago, and has never taken it back, so I got trendy and put flowers in it.

The other containers have rosemary, sage and thyme. I've never planted any of those herbs from seed, so we'll see if they grow. I also planted some basil today. It went in the big garden, next to the tomatoes.

Last but not least, I took care of my f-ing potatoes. D says I shouldn't cuss at something for growing, but they're growing so fast I can't keep them covered. Look at how tall they were.



Luckily, D thought of Tractor Supply. Of course they had straw, so now the f-ing potatoes look like this:



While I was gardening, D was working, too. He finished up the rain barrel.


It was a very productive day, and I am exhausted, but it's a good kind of tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment