Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Whew

Saturday was an amazing day. I spent most of the day outside in the garden!

I started the day by putting up a fence for my peas to grow on. In keeping with my white-trash aesthetic, I used the chicken wire that used to surround my raised beds. It's not pretty, but it'll work.



Next, I planted the zinnia and marigold seeds. The marigolds are to the right of the peas in the above picture, and the zinnias are the string in the upper left.

Then I moved on to the peppers. Nine pepper plants, six different kinds. I'm looking forward to roasting some on the grill.


After the peppers, it was time for tomatoes. I only had six tomato cages, so I had to make two more. In the process, I scratched myself on the rusty wire, so I took a break to google tetanus shots. I had one eight years ago, so I'm good for a couple more years.

Back to the tomatoes. Here they are waiting to be planted. I got this far and remembered that I wanted to put some additives in the soil, and I didn't have them, so I had to run to the store.


After a quick trip to the grocery store for some Epsom salt and powdered milk, I was back in business. I don't make this stuff up; I read it on other people's blogs. I usually have a problem with blossom end rot, so I decided to try the Canned Quilter's trick. Anything she does is worth trying.

With the tomatoes in the ground, the next thing on my agenda was mowing the yard. The grass was so long, I probably could've baled it. Instead, I used it to mulch around my tomatoes, onions, peppers and potatoes. I call it mulching, but what I was probably doing was planting thousands of grass seeds in my garden. Only time will tell.

The garden May 18th south half
The garden May 18th north half
And last but not least, the garden supervisors. When I was taking the picture of Scout, the dog in the foreground, I didn't realize Lucy was photo-bombing on the patio. They don't usually cooperate, so this is one of the best pictures I have of the two of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment