Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Onions

I pulled my onions on the fourth of July. That's earlier than I have in the past, but they'd been lying down for awhile. My first step in curing them is to let them lay in the sun for a couple days.

July 4th - dry

After pulling them, I spread them out on the patio table. Friday night, it poured. I woke up at 2:30 am Saturday, heard the rain and said a little prayer for my onions. Saturday morning, they were laying in a puddle on the table. It was still sprinkling, so I hung them up to dry out of the rain.

July 5th - very wet
It cleared off on Saturday, and they eventually dried off. By Sunday, I was able to put them to bed (I lay them on the concrete covered in a sheet to cure).

July 6th - dry

I know I shouldn't complain about rain, but I wish it hadn't come again Monday night and soaked my onions.

July 8th - wet again
At this point, I don't know if they're going to make it. I've used a couple and thrown one away because it was rotting. We've got a chance of rain again in the forecast, so I moved them closer to the house to try to keep them as dry as possible. At this rate, I'll be lucky to have any storage onions this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment