Pages

Monday, June 20, 2016

Harvest Monday

I had fun joining in last Monday, so I'm doing it again.

I realized it was time, or past time, to pick cabbage, so I cut the biggest of the two the other day.


The slugs had definitely been enjoying it. I hope no one who ate dinner at my house last night is reading this,,,I was kind of surprised at the number of small spiders living in the folds around the bottom of the cabbage.


I peeled the buggy outer bits off outside and then finished cleaning it inside. It was almost 2.5 pounds. Some of it was made into cole slaw for Father's Day dinner, and now I'm trying to decide what to do with the rest. I'm tempted to give mason jar sauerkraut a try. I've never made sauerkraut, and that seems like a very easy way to try it.

Picked some more kale for smoothies. I really should start freezing some.


Even if I didn't eat kale, I'd probably plant it because it's so pretty.


The most exciting harvest of the week was peas. I ate the first peas fresh from the garden on Friday morning, and then picked this bowl full on Saturday.


I shared some with my brother because straight from the pod is the only way he'll eat peas. I picked another bowl full last night. I probably won't get too many more because the plants are dying already, but I probably have enough to freeze.

That's it for harvesting this week. I've got a fridge full of kale, peas, broccoli and cabbage.

1 comment:

  1. Your cabbage sounds a lot like mine with the bugs. But once you clean them up no one would ever know! I'm a big fan of sauerkraut in the jar. I make it all the time, and it is so easy and tasty. I hope your rabbit leaves things for you to eat!

    ReplyDelete