Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Awwwwwwwww

How cute is this little guy?


I found him hiding from Scout behind the cinder block garden, with his momma freaking out in a tree nearby. He didn't squirm at all when I picked him up, so I carefully placed him on a tomato cage out of Scout's reach. When I went out later, he had flown off and was in the neighbor's yard, just on the other side of the fence.

As if that wasn't enough, Scout then proceeded to tell me in no uncertain terms that there was something in the downspout going to the rain barrel. Sure enough, after some wiggling of the downspout, out plopped another baby sparrow. He was smaller than the garden sparrow and squirmed a lot when I grabbed him. I did manage to get him out of my yard, and he crawled under the neighbor's bush. I'm not sure he was actually big enough to fly.

I know sparrows are a dime a dozen, and they eat more than their share of my bird food, but I can't stand to see little creatures squeezed by big dogs. I know it's going to happen, but not in my garden. Besides, Scout has already squeezed a nest of bunnies this year. They're not as easy to save.

Today's birds: chickadee, robin, grackle, mourning dove, ringneck dove, and sparrow, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment