Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

I love growing beans

I planted the beans last Saturday. This is what they looked like by Thursday:


And today they look like this:



As close to instant gratification as you can get in a garden. I'll need to thin them pretty soon, which is something I'm not good at. I hate pulling out seedlings.

In other news, it looks like I might actually get a few peas after all.


With the poor germination and destruction caused by a still-unknown assailant, I didn't think I'd have any this year. I won't have enough to freeze, but at least I'll get to eat a few peas fresh from the garden. Yum.

The beets are getting very close to harvest time, so I should be making some pickled beets soon.


I'm also planning to try the beet greens, which I've never eaten before. I'll have to look around for some recipes or suggestions. Once I pull all the beets out, I'm going to be planting some more basil in their place. You can't have too much basil, in my opinion, because it dries so easily and I use it in so many things.

Last but not least, there was an adult rabbit sitting in the garden when we got home from the grocery store today. Scout and I scared her away. She jumped right through the fence, high enough up where the holes are big enough for a rabbit. I knew this was coming. I didn't see any obvious damage, but it's only a matter of time. I wonder if I could train a cat to live in the garden and never climb out.

Sunday's birds: sparrow, grackle, cardinal, robin, mourning dove, male downy woodpecker with baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment