Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

I told you it wouldn't be pretty

Sunflowers under chicken wire tent
I also said it was probably a grackle. Within a couple hours of making the tent, I saw a grackle walking up and down along the cinder blocks, probably trying to figure out how to get into the place with the special sunflower seeds buried in the dirt. Take that, you freeloader!

It was another wet, cool weekend, so I still haven't gotten my beans planted. We took a step toward completing the bean tower, but no beans. I'll be out of town for a few days, so it'll be at least Thursday before they're planted. I promise to show you my cool bean tower when it's done.

wet again

I feel bad complaining about rain when other parts of the country need it so badly, but I'm sick of wet weekends. Our weather pattern has been ridiculous. We have sunny and 72 degrees on Friday and Monday, but Saturday and Sunday are raining and 65. This is what my yard looks like with all this rain:


And this is not the worst of it. I almost have a creek under the trees at the back of my yard. I'm pondering digging a ditch and having a wet weather pond. Drainage is bad in my yard, really bad. I've found a few ideas for things that could help, and hope to try some of them in the future. Until then, we have puddles in the spring.

The garden June 9th
Today's birds: sparrow, grackle, robin, blue jay, starling, downy woodpecker, chickadee, cardinal, mourning dove, house finch. Baby cardinals today!

No comments:

Post a Comment