Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Oh that stings

The garden May 31st.
Something is snacking on my plants. I noticed on Saturday that the peas looked horrible and most of my zinnia seedlings were gone.

chewed on pea plant
I've never had problems with peas, and I never thought I had to worry about my flowers getting eaten. A couple pepper plants have been chewed on, too.


I'm assuming it's bugs, so I got out my neem Sunday afternoon and sprayed the bad looking plants. As of today, nothing looks great, but they don't look worse, either.

Even with the bug damage, the setbacks to date aren't horrible. Not all of the peas germinated, and the carrots are spotty as well. One of the pepper plants got broken and didn't survive. I planted some more zinnia seeds and am still hoping to have some beautiful flowers in the garden.

On a brighter note, some things in the garden are doing great. I've already showed you the potatoes that don't stop growing. Here are some more happy plants.

Pepper

Beets
Garlic
Onions
Baby tomato
This weekend I'm going to finally get my beans planted.

Today's birds: robin, grackle, house sparrow, mourning dove, cardinal, white-breasted nuthatch, blue jay.

3 comments:

  1. I just popped by to thank you for your visit to Mucky Boots! Your garden is looking just wonderful!

    I am having trouble with some kind of bug in my greenhouse - it is leaving my tomatoes alone, but skeletonizing the marigolds I planted in among the tomato plant. Haven't figured it out yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Miriam. I'm glad you stopped by. I wish you luck with your marigolds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, darned bugs! Sorry they have been munching they just love causing trouble. Everything looks really good though and like it's coming along very well! :)

    ReplyDelete