Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2013

If it ain't one thing it's another

Remember this?

My soon-to-be sunflower forest. Well, the sunflowers had started to sprout. Then I noticed that some of them were looking a little bedraggled and that maybe some had disappeared, but I couldn't be sure.

One morning this week after I let the dogs out, I caught Scout standing in the bed, digging. So I went to the shed and pulled out all the little bits of fence I had and did this:


Lovely, isn't it? At least it'll protect my sunflowers, right?

Wrong. When I got home from work last night, I found all but one of them had been torn out. I can't blame that on Scout, so now the suspects are squirrel, rabbit and bird (probably grackle because they're obnoxious).

I have planted some more seeds, and will figure out some way to keep them protected until they can grow. It will probably involve chicken wire and be ugly, but I have to try.

Interestingly, no one bothers the sunflowers that sprout under the bird feeders.

Friday's birds: grackle, house sparrow, ringneck dove, robin, blue jay, mourning dove, starling, cardinal. Not much variety these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment